Pages

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Packing lightly for a multi-city business trip...


When it comes to traveling I used to enjoy it a lot. But now with all the TSA rules, it’s not much fun anymore. What’s even less fun is a multi-city trip in one week for work. Traveling from  moderate temperature to a cooler temperature to a very hot and humid temperature. My problem here is the packing and packing light.

I have never been someone to pack very light. I have a love for shoes. I think you can say it’s a borderline addiction. I often think I’m going to come home one day and my friends are going to be sitting around the room with letters in their hands for an intervention for my shoe addiction. All this being said, I always seem to think I need a pair of shoes for every outfit when I travel. Not to mention having choices for each day. Then I seem to have to pack a 2-weeks’ worth of undergarments for a 3 day trip, imagine how many I pack for a full week. You would think I have “accidents” all the time. Then of course the toiletries, the makeup, jewelry and did I say the multiple choices of outfits for each day.

So how did I manage to pack a week’s worth of traveling for work in one little carry on without having to compromise with myself? This was a challenge. These are the tWhen it comes to traveling I used to enjoy it a lot. But now with all the TSA rules, it’s not much fun anymore. What’s even less fun is a multi-city trip in one week for work. 

   For multi-city trips think about the weather in both places. Can you wear the same types of clothing in both cities. 
   take a light-weight sweater for the cooler nights but wear it on the flight.
   As far as shoes go, think about whether or not you can wear the same shoe you wear on the flight to work. If you can, you have now freed up some space in your carry on.
   For toiletries, make sure to get the travel size and one of each can carry you very far. Also, remember most hotel rooms provide lotion, shampoo and conditioner as well as soap so you don't have to necessarily carry those.
   For makeup, choose a color that will be versatile throughout the whole week. I learned this the hard way. There's really no need to carry my whole makeup bag when I normally only wear a couple shades.

These were some of the tips I used when packing for my trip. Let me tell you, it helped tremendously. My carry-on was never too heavy, in fact it was lighter than my laptop bag. Plus I didn't have to pay to check my bag, worry that it may not reach my destination and then wait to retrieve it once I arrived. 

Hope these tips will help some of you like it helped me.


No comments:

Post a Comment